Virtual Tour: Guy T. Gillespie Residence Hall
This $5.8 million women’s residence hall was constructed in 1998 and houses 144 women. There are two styles of rooms in Gillespie; the majority of rooms are large, double occupancy rooms that share a private bathroom with a connecting double occupancy room. There are also two suites of privates on each floor in which four small single occupancy rooms share a living area and private bathroom; these rooms are typically reserved for upper-classmen. Two Resident Assistants live on each floor, and a professional Resident Director lives on the first floor.
The central figure of the lounge is a staircase that cascades down the center of the building connecting the main lounge on the first floor with the second floor reception area, third floor study rooms, and the fourth floor conference room. This four-story atrium looks out on the fountains of Belhaven Lake and provides a wonderful setting for studying or relaxing. Additional amenities include two laundry rooms (one on the first floor and one on the fourth), an elevator, a first floor vending area, and public restrooms near the second floor reception area.
Gillespie Hall is named for Belhaven's fifth president, The Reverend Dr. Guy T. Gillespie, who served from 1921 until his retirement in 1954. Under Dr. Gillespie’s leadership, Belhaven saw tremendous growth in academics, enrollment, and campus facilities. Dr. Gillespie’s unwavering commitment and perseverance during his tenure enabled Belhaven to earn full accreditation, create an endowment fund and offer scholarship aid to students despite serious financial limitations due to depression and war. Under Dr. Gillespie’s direction, the school was virtually rebuilt following a devastating fire in 1927 that destroyed the main building and most of its contents.