International Studies Study Abroad and Internships
A semester abroad or significant cross cultural internship is required of all International Studies majors; and Intercultural Studies majors are required to do a shorter overseas internship or mission trip.
To talk more about studying abroad through Belhaven, contact Ken Nehrbass, chair of International Studies at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read about the experiences of some of our international studies students as they travel abroad and share their thoughts in the International Studies Students' Blog.
Study abroad opportunities
Where do you plan to go?The first step in going abroad is to decide which country or countries would be most beneficial for you to get acquainted with. What foreign language do you need to learn? What cultures do you need to understand for your future work or studies? As you look at the programs below, you can narrow down which programs you'll apply to, based on the countries in which they offer programs.
Council for Christian Colleges and Universities study abroad program
As a Christian university, Belhaven belongs to the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) www.cccu.org. CCCU has a study abroad program called "Best Semester" http://www.bestsemester.com with the following programs:
- Australia Studies Center: Sydney, Australia
- China Studies Program: Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Xiamen
- Latin America Studies Program: Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Panama
- Middle East Studies Program: Cairo, Egypt
- Russian Studies Program: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Nizhni Novgorod
- Uganda Studies Program: Mukono, Uganda
Belhaven maintains tuition exchange programs with some foreign and US-based universities. If you study abroad at one of the universities in our exchange programs, you generally would only pay whatever you're paying for Belhaven University tuition, plus airfare, food and lodging. As part of an exchange, Belhaven has also been blessed to receive students for a semester or year from many of these universities. The following list shows many of the universities with which we have exchange programs:
- Chung Yuan Christian University http://cycu.edu.tw
- Chung-Li, Taiwan
- Graduate and Undergraduate opportunities
- Graduate scholarships available
- DIMA (Dong-Ah Institute of Media and Arts, Korea) http://eng.dima.ac.kr/
- Seoul Women's University, Korea http://www.swu.ac.kr/english/
- Summer 1-month cultural exchange
- One year exchange
- British Council http://www.britishcouncil.org/new/
- Northern Ireland
- One semester exchange
- Rwanda Presidential Scholars Program http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/ssa_rwt.cfm
- A five-month program offered as a joint collaboration between SIT (School for International Training) Study Abroad and The Rwanda Presidential Scholars Program
- Administered by Hendrix College in partnership with the William J. Clinton Foundation.
- Christ's College http://www.christc.org.tw
- Taipei, Taiwan
- One semester study program
- University of Southern Mississippi
- The University of Southern Mississippi offers study abroad programs in Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Belize, Costa Rica, England, France, Germany, Holland, Honduras, India, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Panama, Peru, Spain, Vietnam and Wales. For a full listing of their programs, go to http://www.usm.edu/study-abroad/list-programs-0
Foreign Universities with International Studies programs
You may choose to work out your own agreement with a university overseas. Some examples of universities with established international student programs are:
- Handong Global University in South Korea. www.handong.edu
- Studio Art Centers International (Florence, Italy) www.saci-florence.edu
Other Study Abroad Providers
You may also choose to go with a US-based Study Abroad provider. The advantage is they have lots of experience organizing semesters abroad, their credits usually transfer, and they usually accepts Title IV financial aid. The disadvantage is that they tend to be the most expensive. Some of these providers are:
- American Councils www.acstudyabroad.org
- Russia, Balkan language initiative, Arabic Abroad, Eurasia abroad, Indonesia.
- CAPA www.capa.org
- Transfer credits for studying just about any major
- Beijing, Buenos Aires, Florence, Istanbul, London and Sydney.
- CET academic programs http://cetacademicprograms.com/
- China, Czech Republic, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Tunisia, Vietnam
- They offer scholarships, too.
- GlobalLinks Learning Abroad www.globallinksabroad.org/semester
- Australia, China, Czech Republic, England, Fiji, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Scotland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Wales.
- They also offer internships.
- IES abroad www.iesabraod.org
- Argentina, Australia, Austria, Chile, china, Ecuador, England, EU, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, morocco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain
- New York Film Academy
- Study arts in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; India; Australia; or Italy.
- Northwestern College (Iowa) www.nwciowa.edu/study-abroad
- Programs in Oman and Romania
- Semester at Sea www.semesteratsea.org
- Opportunities in Japan, Russia, Denmark, Hong Kong, India, Turkey, Brazil, South Africa and Egypt.
- Sponsored by the University of Virginia
- Semester in Spain www.semesterinspain.org
- Veritas (Christian Study abroad program) veritasabroad.com
- Chile, England, Italy, Spain
International studies majors may choose to do an internship anywhere else in the world. Here are some possibilities:
- African Bible University of Uganda
- Christian Heritage apologetics apprenticeship in Cambridge, England www.christianheritage.org.uk
- Operation Mobilization http://www.om.org/
- Serving in various capacities with the OM ships
- Agua Azul Sierra, Honduras, CA
- 1-2 students per semester serving with the ministry in economic development
- Sal y Luz (Salt and Light) in Honduras www.saltandlightministrie.org
- Sea Turtles9111 www.seaturtles911.org
- Chinese Cultural and language immersion, plus volunteer opportunities
- Located in Sanya, Hainan Island, China.
- Wycliffe Bible Translators 6-9 week Discovery Internship programs http://www.wycliffe.org/Go/ShortTerm/DiscoveryTrips.aspx
- Papua New Guinea, Brazil, Ecuador, Kenya, Mali, Mexico, Mozambique, Solomon Island, Uganda
- Food for the Hungry/GoEd http://www.fh.org/go-ed
- Study abroad and serve with Food for the Hungry
Scholarships available for International Studies Majors
- DAAD (Germany) www.daad.org
- For high-achieving science students
- Also offer summer courses July-September
- Freeman Asia scholarship. www.iie.org/en/programs/freeman-asia
- Fund for education Abroad: www.fundforeducationabroad.com
- Rotary Ambassadorial scholarship www.rotary.org/en/studentsandyouth/educationalprograms/ambassadorialscholarships/pages/ridefault.aspx
- Boren Scholarships and Fellowships www.borenawards.org
- (require a commitment to work in the federal government for one year)