Information for Accepted/Current Dance Students
Important documents to download (PDF):
- Dance Student Handbook
- Medical Forms
- List of Performance Credits
- Performance Self-Evaluation Form - Performers
- Performance Self-Evaluation Form - Understudies
- BFA Request Policy
- Dance Clinic Policies and Procedures
- Dance Clinic Hours
- Attire Policy
There will be a placement class for incoming and returning dance students one or two days prior to classes starting each semester. Please see the schedule listed below for upcoming placement classes.
|August 18, 2014 Placement Class for Incoming Students|
Note: If you are a new student or have never filled out a Medical Form (PDF) you will need to make an appointment with your family doctor and have the downloadable form filled out. The completed form should be mailed to the Belhaven University Dance Department (see address below) at least one week prior to the start of the school year. We will not allow any student without a medical form to participate in the placement class. We look forward to seeing you then!
Mail form to :
1500 Peachtree St., Box 314
Jackson, MS 39202
Departmental Policies for Dance Students
Technique classes and rehearsals are the most time-intensive requirements in the dance program. They focus on developing your expressive and physical skills through a strong foundation in ballet and exposure to a large range of modern dance approaches. Therefore it is imperative that in these studio courses you are ready to work and do so consistently. In preparation for you time at Belhaven, please download the Attire Policy so you will be well-equipped for classes and performance.
Information as You Prepare to Transition for Study in Dance at Belhaven University
The faculty of Belhaven University's Dance Department are delighted that you have chosen to continue your pursuit of excellence in the art of dance in a higher education setting. Our dance program offers an exciting opportunity to enhance your training, expand your knowledge, and prepare you for a future in the world of dance and affiliated careers. Although the transition from a private dance school to a liberal arts college is adventurous and exciting, you may find many differences and challenges. Our faculty, as well as this document, will help you make this transition.
Belhaven University's Dance Program offers a diverse curriculum. During your academic experience, the following goals will be emphasized.
- To develop and integrate a Christian worldview into your dance studies.
- To develop skills in technique and performance artistry.
- To gain an understanding of dance through history and theory.
- To develop your artistry voice and ability to craft dance through composition and choreography.
These goals aim to expose you to a wide breadth of courses that are designed to give you a broader and deeper perspective and skill-set.
Upon entering our dance program, your prior training may have been focused primarily on developing technical skills and improving performance execution. Therefore, that is why we hope that you keep an open mind to new dance opportunities and cultivate a healthy curiosity about all aspects of the art form. The following suggestions are to better prepare you for your collegiate career with a background of knowledge making your first experiences with our dance department positive:
- Attend as many dance performances as you can
- View television documentaries and films on dance
- Read about dance in newspapers, magazines, books, on the web-visit your local library
- Familiarize yourself with key choreographers of the 20th century-George Balanchine, Martha Graham, José Limón, and William Forsythe, to name a few.
- Research contemporary dance artists and current dance trends
- Visit internet sites (YouTube and dancemedia.com) of different dance genres
- Broaden your skill base-discover new ideas and approaches by taking from different teachers
- Explore other dance forms-try something different! (SYTYCD is only one small offering)
As you expand your perspectives by discovering the vast array of opportunities that you may not have thought about pursuing, it is important to be creative and flexible in your thinking, while remaining steadfast in your pursuit of God's will, which is disclosed to us though the Bible. His word is the only true mirror, that will reveal who and where you are as a child of God and what is desired for and of you.