Jackson, MS 39202
The dance department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD).
The Belhaven University dance department's national accreditation, experienced faculty, biblical worldview, and beautiful facilities set it apart from other college dance programs. Degrees offered include a Master's of Fine Arts in Dance, Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance, Bachelor of Arts in Dance. These degree programs enable students to develop their God-given talents and gain in-depth knowledge in the field of dance from a biblical perspective.
The mission of the dance department is to prepare students spiritually, technically, academically, and artistically to move into the world of dance and affiliated careers in adherence with the mission of the university.
Undergraduate students receive a broad liberal arts and in-depth dance education to prepare them for graduate school, modalities for dance ministry, and careers in dance performance, dance education, and other dance related fields.
Graduate students will have the opportunity to participate in creative and scholarly work through curricular offerings in technique, performance, choreography, research methodology, critical investigation and philosophy of dance, among others. Graduate curricular offering emphasize choreography and/or performance within the context of pedagogical, theoretical, and artistic inquiry.
The application process for acceptance into Belhaven University and the dance department are two separate items. All prospective students must audition for the dance program and submit items for acceptance prior to auditions.
What will I study?
- Ballet, Modern, and Point techniques
- Pas de Deux and non-traditional partnering
- Improvisation, Composition and Choreography
- Pedagogy and Teaching Methods
- Dance Kinesiology, Conditioning and Injury Prevention
- Dance History, Research and Theory
- Dance Production
- Dance Technology
What can I do with a major in Dance?
- Professional Careers in Dance Performance and Choreography Education
- Dance Administration
- Dance Production
- Dance Ministry and Missions
- Graduate School for Dance, Education and Dance Science
What kind of opportunities will I have as a dance major that will contribute toward my career?
- Student dance clubs
- Participation in local, regional, and national festivals and conferences
- National Honor Society for Dance Arts
- Participate in all aspects of production, including performance, choreography, lighting, costuming, stage crew, etc.
- Community involvement in performances and outreach, fundraising, service projects, international travel for missions
- Public speaking, resume and promotional materials building
What are Belhaven Dance graduates doing now?
- Gabriel Speiller is now a performer with Paul Taylor 2 Dance Company in New York and a performer with Ad Deum Dance Company.
- Dara Oda is a company member in the Texas Ballet Theater II in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Carina Stern is pursuing a Master of Science in Athletic Training with a Performing Arts focus at Shenandoah University in Winchester, Va.
- DeMarcus Suggs is now a performer with Dayton Contemporary Dance Theatre in Dayton, Ohio.
- Tiffany Schrepherman now works as the Production Manager for American Dance Festival in Durham, N.C.
- Katy Hagelin is the Artistic Director and Founder of Katy Hagelin Dance Project in Seattle, Washington.
- Courtney Dressner is now the Principal Artist with Montgomery Ballet.
- Stephanie Miracle has a Fulbright Fellowship in Germany for 2014-2015. She earned her Master of Fine Arts in Dance from University of Maryland and has worked with Ella Ben-Aharon/YelleB Dance, Laura Peterson Choreography and Liz Lerman Dance Exchange.
- Krista Bower is the owner and director of the dance company Front Porch Dance and dance studio, Yazoo City School of Dance.