We are extremely excited about the development of our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. We are rapidly moving forward in a process that we believe will lead us to final approval by the Institute for Higher Learning (IHL) at their June 2014 meeting. In the video below, President Dr. Roger Parrott welcomes you to join the first ever class of Belhaven University nursing students.
Now accepting applications for Fall 2014 freshman and
Pre-licensure transfer students. Appy Today!
Major: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
To date, we have made tremendous strides and will continue to update this website as more news and progress occurs! Our highlights to date include:
- Our Level 1 application was approved in August by the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL), that governs nursing programs in Mississippi. This gives us authorization to hire the dean and faculty, build our nursing facilities, and develop the nursing curriculum.
- In March the IHL will come to campus for an onsite review to evaluate our progress. Their report will be submitted with our Level 2 application to the IHL board in June. At the June meeting we expect to receive approval to open our Nursing School.
- Dr. Barbara Johnson has taken on the challenge of being our founding Dean of the Nursing School. Barbara has been serving on our faculty as Assistant Professor of Health Administration. Before coming to Belhaven her teaching experience was in nursing education, and her Ph.D. is in nursing education from Georgia State University.
- We have also hired Mrs. Victoria Burslem, as Assistant Professor of Nursing, who has been teaching in the accelerated and traditional BSN program at the University Medical Center and has a strong track record in nursing education. She will begin in December.
- We are interviewing additional faculty to begin in the spring.
- We have received a grant of $920,000 from the Hearin Foundation to pay for the faculty start-up costs, start-up consulting help, and curriculum development.
- We have begun renovating the 3rd floor of Irby Hall for Nursing. All the appropriate lab spaces, classrooms, and nursing faculty offices will be completed in time for the visiting committee evaluation in March. We have raised nearly $300,000 toward this renovation.
- Over 800 potential nursing students have been identified, and we are now beginning communication with them about our plans for Belhaven to open the School of Nursing next fall. We already have 27 freshmen applicants interested in nursing next year.
- We have strong endorsements for our new Nursing School from the presidents of every major hospital in Mississippi, from all the college presidents in Mississippi whose schools currently offer nursing, from the Commissioner of the of the IHL, Dr. Hank Bounds, and from Governor Phil Bryant.
- Our brand new science building is open, and the quality and functionality of it has already exceeded our expectations. It provides a marvelous learning environment for all our students majoring in science related degrees – including nursing.
Belhaven University is strategically located in the heart of Jackson, Mississippi’s medical health corridor. Our location, our new and renovated facilities, and our top faculty will provide you with tremendous access to the best of health care training. If you are interested in a nursing program of strong academic caliber, a deep commitment to faith and a genuine desire to serve the community then let us tell you more by requesting information and/or applying today. We will be happy to host you on a tour of our facilities and allow you to meet our science and nursing faculty.
Please note, admission to Belhaven University does not automatically admit one to the School of Nursing.